Thursday, April 7, 2011

Through an FSR's POV


Hello all,

So I've been remiss. I leave this blog blank for so many months at a time. I'm a tad busy these days and the past few weeks have been... interesting, to say the least. So here goes!

Firstly, since I moved to a new locale in Afghanistan, I'm finally settled, and all is well on that front. Things were getting hairy there for a minute but luckily, I have my God and He kept me in line and gave me patience where I didn't know I had it in me.

So, this Terry Jones guy who is a pastor at some church in Florida. Most everyone knows my stance on this guy and being where I am, I'm not too pleased with his foolish, irrational behavior. Politics aside here, he, of all people, should've practiced a little of his preaching and used a little forgiveness. He's an extremist who has an agenda and uses his religious standing to expedite it. If you want Christianity (if that is what he indeed preaches) to reach more people and in a good light... don't burn others holy books. I'm sure he'd get very irate and overreact if someone were to post a video calling him out by name whilst burning the Bible and making a complete mockery of it. Point is, if you want to show patriotism, there are less radical ways of doing so that don't put the brave men and women (myself included here) at even more risk. Also, for once in a blue moon, I agreed with Mr. Barry Obama. He called this guy out before anyone else. Thanks Pres. Obama. (did the Earth just shutter a second there?)

That's that. No more on that unless this looney decides to grab a menorah and proceed to stomp on it repeatedly. He's gotten enough press as it is.

Today was an odd day in Delaram. Aside from the increased preventative security put in place thanks to Pastor Psycho up there, things were just overall strange today. Extreme wind gusts (more than some of the veterans around here had seen), rain out of season, buildings getting torn up due to the conditions, and it being my first day off in months. All around... strange. I feel sort of in tune with it all though. Strange as it may sound, I've always felt like I have sort of a finger on the pulse with the happenings of the earth. No, I'm not smoking some of the local harvest, and no I'm not drunk (here's looking at you General Order #1). If I sat here and explained it, you'd look at me like I had lawnmowers being built in my nose. Leave it at that. Suffice it to say, all around an odd day. Somehow, I couldn't be happier.

I've taken to listening to music more while I'm out here. Currently, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World." iTunes has helped save my sanity out here. I paused there for a short second to listen. Which leads me with this, if you've never done this... I HIGHLY suggest it. Get some nice headphones that cover your ear (noise canceling if you can) and throw together a nice soothing iTunes playlist. Hit the shuffle button after a list has been established. Now, lay back and try your best to not fall asleep. Let your mind go. It's almost euphoric. I can't tell you how good that feels every once in a while. You can actually solve some issues within your sub-conscience without even realizing it.

I'm also learning the virtue of time away. I've been working everyday for the past few months with no sign of a day off. Finally it was arranged that the guys would get a day off. Oh man... this is needed. If you find yourself in a job that's a 7 day a week affair or a combination of two or more jobs... take a day, make it for you, and enjoy it. This is like a mini-vacation. Which is a nice segway point.

I have a vacation soon. I can't wait. I get to head home one last time before my contract end date, which in and of itself is rapidly approaching. I've seen more flight time than I ever imagined I'd take in a few month's time. It's been an experience to say the least. I used to talk to actual soldiers, troops, airmen, and seamen who've not ridden in all the vehicles I have. We're talking Staff NCO's even. You'd figure being in the service for at least a couple years, you'd see some vehicle times on deployments. I'm not even done yet and I've been in more vehicles than I can count on one hand and that's almost just the air type alone.

Drink more cranberry juice, more milk, eat more fruits, chow down on vegetables, drink PLENTY of water, and overall, don't gluttonize yourself on bad food. I'm doing the best to live by this and man, I feel wonderful generally all over. Occasionally I feel a little pressure here and there but no more than when I was home. I'm physically fit every time I get a physical so it's just stress. Thanks for that segway too.

Stress. Do your best to not let the small details ruin you. I used to let the littlest things let me fly off the handle. I know, me right? No! Yes. If someone cuts you off, write it off. Let it go. If you're a minute late to get to the game... oh well. You missed the first pitch, get over it. Flat tire even, you got a spare right? Put that sucker on there. Your boss will understand when he sees you riding the donut train.

Hopefully this post didn't enrage you. This post was designed to help release some things that have been on my mind but hopefully you got something out of it too. Please, let me know what you think, well except about that pastor. My mind is cleaned of him until he decides to offend someone else with his lunacy.

God Bless all!

Proud to be an American by birth and blood,

Dale M. Skrobot

2 comments:

  1. We should also blame the press for giving him a soapbox. nuff said. The rest is all good stuff and remember His peace passes all understanding. I am proud of you and all those standing in the gap over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I managed to miss your blog all this time! Will try to stop by once in a while and catch up with you. I'm so glad to know you're doing well over there my honorary little brother.

    ReplyDelete